Our lips lose volume and definition as we age. Some individuals are born with similarly thin, poorly defined lips. Elegant, refined lips have complex curves, volumes and proportions. Dermal fillers such as Restylane® can be an effective non-surgical treatment to increase the volume, fullness, and definition of the lips. However, lip enhancement requires a detailed understanding of anatomy to achieve natural, balanced results. Dr. Harmon is a fellowship trained facial plastic surgeon who focuses exclusively on surgical and non-surgical procedures of the face. He will work closely with each individual to develop a plan to maintain the delicate proportions and enhance the defining features of the lips.
Lip Enhancement Before & After
Am I a good candidate?
Some individuals have concerns about the volume and/or definition of the upper and/or lower lip. Young individuals are often born with these features and older individuals often develop these features as they age.
Most candidates for lip enhancement range in age from 20s to 70s. A consultation is essential to determine candidacy for the procedure, because there may be factors that preclude this procedure for certain individuals. Reasonable expectations must be established about what lip enhancement can and cannot accomplish as with all plastic surgery procedures.
Recovery from lip enhancement is generally minimal and always specific to the individual. The duration of recovery will vary from person to person. There are no incisions made with lip enhancement.
Some swelling is expected after lip enhancement. Post-treatment swelling is usually significantly improved or resolved within 2 to 7 days. Post-treatment bruising is generally minimal and is usually significantly improved or resolved within 5 to 7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who performs all lip enhancement procedures at Harmon Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Dr. Jeffrey Harmon performs all lip enhancement procedures himself. Dr. Harmon has the detailed understanding of facial anatomy and the experience as a fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon to provide the safest, most effective treatment.
- What type of anesthesia is required?
- Lip enhancement can generally be performed comfortably with topical anesthesia with or without injected local anesthesia.
- How does placement of hyaluronic acid filler in my lip differ from a lip lift?
- The red portion of our lips thins (loses height) and loses volume as we age. Some individuals are born with thin, deflated lips. Lip filler can address some of the deflated volume of the lips beautifully. However, lip filler cannot increase the height of the red lip without projecting it, potentially creating a “duck-lipped” appearance. In addition to the red lip, the area of the lip between the red lip and the base of the nose lengthens as we age. This length can be worsened by overfilling the lip with hyaluronic acid. The lip lift can be an excellent option to improve the height of the red lip while preserving the architecture of the lip that imparts beauty as well as the length of the lip between the red lip and base of nose.
Why Choose Dr. Harmon
- The mission of Harmon Facial Plastic Surgery is to help people along their journey towards self-confidence, to feel good about feeling good.
- Dr. Harmon values making patients feel welcomed, listened to, and respected.
- Dr. Harmon graduated with honors from Cornell University with a Bachelor of Science degree in molecular biology.
- Dr. Harmon earned his medical degree from the University of Cincinnati.
- Dr. Harmon underwent five years of extensive training in head at neck surgery at the prestigious residency program at the University of Cincinnati.
- Dr. Harmon then underwent focused fellowship training in cosmetic facial plastic surgery through the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) with the world-renowned surgeon, Dr. Andrew Jacono, on Park Avenue in New York City.
- Dr. Harmon posts frequently and covers a wide range of topics, including procedure-specific information, volunteering, general health, and much more. Read more from Dr. Harmon by visiting his blog.
- Harmon Facial Plastic Surgery can be reached here.
Disclaimer: This page is for educational purposes only and does not constitute direct medical advice. Moreover, this page should not be used as a substitute for direct medical advice. It is essential that you have a consultation with a qualified medical provider prior to considering any treatment in order to determine whether you are a candidate for treatment. This will also allow you the opportunity to discuss any potential benefits, risks, and alternatives to the treatment. In addition, some treatments and statements have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Other treatments may be used off-label as defined by the Food and Drug Administration. Specific information on whether a treatment is considered off-label by the Food and Drug Administration can be obtained at Harmon Facial Plastic Surgery.