Derived from a naturally occurring substance and synthesized in a highly regulated environment, Botox© treats dynamic wrinkles which develop on the face from constant muscle use. Well-studied and widely used, it can safely and effectively treat dynamic wrinkles at the frown lines between the eyebrows, the crows feet along the side of the eyes and on the forehead. Botox© can also be placed under the eyebrows to provide a temporary lateral temporal brow lift and in the cheeks to slim the face. The treatment relaxes muscles, thereby softening and smoothing the face. And, when performed properly, the treatment can reduce the harsh contraction of the muscles while still preserving the expressive range of the face. This treatment takes effect approximately 3 to 7 days after injection and its effects last approximately 3 to 4 months. It is potentially beneficial for women and men from their 20s to their 80s with little-to-no pain or downtime. It is important to note that while this treatment treats deep, dynamic wrinkles, other interventions may be more appropriate for static, thin, shallow wrinkles that occur secondary to oxidative stresses on the skin, such as chronic sun exposure. That is why it is very important to consult with a specialist in facial plastic surgery to help determine the most appropriate approach.
Am I a good candidate?
Coarse wrinkling of the forehead, between the eyebrows (eleven lines), and/or around the eyes (crow's feet) can worsen as we age. Botox© can address these areas of concern.
Most candidates for Botox© range in age from 20s to 70s. A consultation is recommended to determine candidacy for the procedure, because there may be factors that preclude this procedure for certain individuals. Reasonable expectations must be established about what Botox© can and cannot accomplish as with all plastic surgery procedures.
Recovery from Botox© treatment is generally minimal and always specific to the individual. The duration of recovery will vary from person to person. There are no incisions made with the injection of Botox©. The effects of Botox© usually start approximately 3 to 5 days after injection. The maximum effect of Botox© is usually reached approximately 2 weeks after injection.
There is typically no swelling with the injection of Botox©. There is typically no-to-minimal bruising with the injection of Botox©. Any bruising typically resolves in 5 to 7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who administers Botox© at Harmon Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Dr. Jeffrey Harmon administers all Botox© himself. Dr. Harmon has the detailed understanding of facial anatomy and the experience as a fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon to provide the safest, most effective treatment.
- What type of anesthesia is required?
- Botox© administration is generally minimally painful and usually requires no anesthesia. Some individuals may require topical anesthesia, however.
- How long does Botox© last?
- Botox© generally lasts 3 to 4 months. However, there are rare instances where treatment can last less than 3 months or longer than 4 months.
- Can Botox© treat all wrinkles anywhere in my face and neck?
- No. Botox© can be used to reduce the appearance of dynamic wrinkles, or those wrinkles that become more prominent with movement of the facial musculature. More superficial, static wrinkles that exist at rest and are due to changes in the skin are best treated with laser resurfacing. Botox© can be used to treat dynamic wrinkles in the forehead, between the eyebrows (eleven lines) and on the sides of the eye (crow’s feet). However, Dr. Harmon does not use it to treat wrinkles around the mouth (smoker’s lines), under the eyes, or in the neck.
- Can regular treatment with Botox© prevent the formation of wrinkles?
- While a reasonable idea, there is currently no clinical evidence that early treatment with Botox© prevents the formation of wrinkles.
- Can men benefit from Botox©?
- Absolutely, men can benefit from Botox© placed in the same locations as women. In fact, men tend to develop much stronger, coarser wrinkles with age. Botox© can be an excellent option to treat these wrinkles.
- Is Botox© a common treatment?
- Yes, Botox© is a common non-surgical treatment. The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) release statistics each year that provide insight into the state of plastic surgery around the world. ISAPS reported botulinum toxin was administered 1,477,000 times in the United States in 2020.